Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



12/17/12



Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog












Wild At Heart


We are getting closer to the big holiday and thankfully all my shopping is done. Right now I am looking past the holiday for things to do and there are a few cool things going on I recently bought tickets for and thought I would give everyone here a heads up about. Starting off, the Royal Ontario Museum is offering $5 discounts for groups of 5 or more until Dec 24th for their Ultimate Dinosaur exhibit. Readers of this blog know that I am a huge fan of the exhibit so if you have the slightest interest in dinosaurs, you cannot miss this exhibit while it is within driving distance.

Science Fiction Fans can look forward to the Toronto Comic Con on March 9th and 10th at the Toronto Convention Center. Not as big as the Fan Fest but they have a few big names coming in March that you might want to get in on. First of all, with the new Hobbit film now out (which I hope to see this week), the fest has a coup getting an appearance by Sean Austin (Sam in the LOTR series as well as being in fan favorite "The Goonies"). While cool, it is not the big news. I have been a fan of Star Trek for decades and while DS9 is my favorite, and of course the original and animated series are must-seee TV, the Toronto Comic Con has secured the cast of Star Trek: TNG which was a huge deal when I was in college as there was a group of us who would always try to secure a dorm TV to watch the newest episodes. I have interviewed Johnathan Frakes years ago at Motorcity Comic Con and while I have met most of the cast at various conventions, it will be cool to finally meet Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart. Burton, Sirtis, Dorn and McFadden round out the cast at the convention. Sorry, no Will Wheaton. There are still a few different packages available so check out their website for what is available. This could be a great Christmas present for the Trekker in your family.

Also, I have never been to Massey Hall in Toronto but I came across a must see concert that I had to get tickets for. Now Massey does a lot of classical and international groups but they also play host to some really cool shows. You guys know by my concert recommendations (which are 98% bands I have already seen in concert) that I have a really diverse musical base. Years ago I was getting ready to buy tickets for a show but 9/11 happened and the band cancelled and until this upcoming March, had never played show near to where I was living. I know tickets are selling pretty fast, but I am excited to get tickets to see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds who are not playing Detroit so if you are also interested, you'll have to see them in Toronto (Mar 23rd) or Chicago (April 1st). "Right Red Hand" is one of my favorite all-time songs and I was also a fan his previous post-punk band, the Birthday Party.


That is just some of what I am looking forward to after the new year starts so I can leave you with some cool concerts this week. Not much happening around the holidays but a few cool shows:

Thursday (12/20) - Tegan and Sara open for the Killers @ EMU Convocation Center

Friday (12/21) - Ty Stone @ Magic Bag, Hatchetmen @ Callahans

Saturday (12/22) - Insane Clown Posse @ St Andrews Hall, Wildcatting @ Magic Stick, Scott Morgan Benefit Party feat Duende and Secret Weapons @ Blind Pig