Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



10/24/11

Interview with Paypa (Smoker's Club Tour)

I interviewed rapper Paypa after he performed alongside Method Man and Curren$y for their Smoker's Club Tour concert at the Eagle Theatre in Pontiac. You'll find the proof in the pudding.


Jane Fader: You have a music video about going to the bathroom, which I find to be rather subversive.

Paypa: Ughhhh!

Fayda: Could you tell us how you got to the point in your life where you needed to write a song about that magic moment that happens during a “bathroom break?”

Paypa: Well I didn’t exactly make a song about going to the bathroom. For the record, the song is called “Bathroom Break,” and it’s an interlude on my mix tape. I shot the whole video on the toilet, but I’m not talking about the toilet at all. On the toilet—that’s where everybody goes and thinks.

Fayda: Oh I get it. You’re taking a proverbial bathroom break.

Paypa: Yeah.

[watch the official "Bathroom Break" video at the end of the interview] 

Fayda: ...Hold on--is this guy on stage right now sampling Prince’s “Adore?”

Paypa: Shout out to Fiend!

Fayda: So anyway, is Smoker’s Club your first big tour?

Paypa: Yes, this is my first major US tour.

Fayda: And you just played Quebec? How were you guys received in Quebec? Is there a big hip hop scene in Quebec?

Paypa: Well, some people on my team had some legal issues so we couldn’t get through the boarder. They were like, “nahhh, y’all can’t come through here!”

Fayda: Aww. Well I really like your Henny shirt. 


Paypa: Thank you. What do you like about it?

Fayda: I like when people remake logos and personalize them.

Paypa: Thank you.

Fayda: Who’s your favorite rapper?

Paypa: I don’t have one favorite rapper. I’m a big fan of hip hop. But Jay Z, Andre 3000…

Fayda: I forgot about him!

Paypa: …Scarface, Kanye West…

Fayda: When was the last time you cried?

Paypa: Six months ago when my daughter was born.

Fayda: Do you like hamburgers better or chicken nuggets?

Paypa: Chicken nuggets.

Fayda: Coke or Pepsi?

Paypa: Coke.

Fayda: Hard tacos or soft tacos?

Paypa: I don’t really have a preference on tacos.

Fayda: I think that’s a perfect way to rap it up.

Paypa: I think it’s good too.

Fayda: Thank you very much for this interview.

"Bathroom Break"