Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



11/16/10

A Uniquely Detroit Night by DC-in-Detroit

DC is a longtime contributor to the MCB.
She can be reached at DC.in.Detroit [at] gmail.com

We love the DIA.
I mean "we" as in the MCB, "we" as in everyone I know, and "we" as me personally. It's one of the things Detroit should be proudest of, and one of the first things I insist anyone coming from out of town set aside some time to experience.

Now, me being at least a part-time night crawler, I get especially excited by all the weekend and nightlife events the DIA puts on. There's something extra-special about dudding up and coming in the back way of one of the country's most celebrated institutions.

This past weekend was even more celebratory than usual, not to mention even more dudded-up, as the DIA threw their black-tie 125th Anniversary Gala Saturday night. Thanks to our awesome relationship with the DIA, MOTORCITYBLOG was invited to hobnob our little hearts out.
At about 10pm, we rolled up in the MCB Challenger, tossing the keys to one of the eager (seemingly hundreds of) valets. I'm the first to admit, we're not usually the black-tie-scene-types; but as a crew, we clean up pretty well. MCB Mac Daddy Kirk was sharp in tone-on-tone (aka black, black and black), special guest star (and MCB contributor) Karen brought the leopard, and your humble narrator, well, I probably looked like a dork, but why spoil an unbroken record?
Before I even get to the other attendees, respect must be given to the staff.
They were stellar.
There are few things that can ruin a big night out quicker than surly, disinterested, unprofessional staff. Everyone working that night -- and there were plenty of them -- was upbeat, helpful and enthusiastic. I don't mean to seem like I'm reporting for the Better Business Bureau here, but the fact is, I had more contact with the people working the event than the people attending. And that's not only because of the 18 glasses of champagne. (Although... mmmm... champagne.) And the food! Table after table of little bite-sized bits of wonder to keep us grazing (and moaning).
I wasn't sure what to expect from our fellow attendees, except that there would be a lot of people there I'd never met. That, for me, is often a big plus. I like the new faces and new conversations, especially in such gorgeous environs. Everyone happy, everyone moving, everyone shoulder-to-shoulder in their support of the DIA. And hey, any one of you can call me any time.
We'll go golfing.
The Gala officially ended at 1am, and near that time, the MCB crew decided to go visit another spot to meet up with some friends and hear some killer live music. Off we went to the Northern Lights, which I've said before gets my vote for best women's bathroom in Detroit. This... was not the right choice. As good as it was to see a couple of familiar folk, we only lasted one drink before the band chased us away. That was all right by me, as I had an even better suggestion which I'd been lobbying for since early in the night -- the Detroit Subgenius Devival at the Old Miami.

Back in the MCB-mobile and down into the city. We hit the door right at 1am, which was right about when the Amino Acids were expected to come on. Greeted the Devil right quick (aka Billy Zebubba), grabbed a drink, and wedged my goofy self up front of the crowded floor for the Aminos experience. Even though this was supposed to be their next-to-last show (I'm still in denial), they held nothing back. The Amino Acids are probably my favorite local band, and certainly one of the only bands I can see over and over without their schtick getting old. So yeah, I got up there and lost my shit. And was happy to do so.
And if you don't know what I'm talking about, what's wrong with you? Whether you do or not, you owe it to yourself to go see the Aminos one last time, next month, before they return to their home planet.

This is what I'd call a perfect Detroit night: Start out with the VIPs, end up with the tattooed girls, devil-horned boys and kickass space aliens trying to hump your leg.