Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



9/20/10

Wild At Heart - vacation blog Day 1

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University

Wild At Heart




As most of you know my time here in the Michigan area is shortly coming to a close. I have less than two weeks left and I am spending that time saying goodbyes to people and places that have meant a lot to me over the years living here. I have been in the Detroit area about 5 years and I have grown to really love the area. I have been planning to travel the state the last few years without much help either due to work schedules, unemployment or other planned trips.

Last week, I took the initiative to plan a vacation to the upper peninsula having always wanted to go see Mackinaw Island and some of that area. I really wanted to travel all the way around Lake Michigan but didn’t really have the time to do that properly so I set forth an itinerary that would make the most of my time. My entire trip lasted 4 days (3 nights) and took me basically to the upper limits of I-75. This blog will highlight some of the things that I appreciated most on my trip.

It started on Monday at 7AM in the morning so I could get to my first stop in Bay City when they opened. This was the Historical Museum of Bay County, a museum that explores the history of the bay area with emphasis on colonial life through the 50’s as well as shipping history on the lakes. I always enjoy these little museums as they usually give you a nice look at the history of a town and it allows you to really get a feeling about what is important.

From there I traveled north on I-75 to Grayling for lunch. This included the Bottle-Cap Museum which holds the largest private collection of Coca-Cola related items in Northern Michigan with over 7,000 pieces of memorabilia that line the authentic classic 50's diner. Dawson and Stevens Classic 50's Diner is located in downtown Grayling and has wonderful sandwiches and root beer floats. They even have a working 1950's soda fountain. A nice diversion off the beaten path.

50's diner

Afterwards, I went to the Hartwick Pines Logging Museum which is in a beautifully wooded area. My main attraction was the name since I went to Hartwick College so I was wondering if the name of the park was related to its NY namesake but it wasn’t. Still, the old growth pine forests were wonderful for walking around. The Museum is in the middle of the park and contains a few buildings with the history of the area logging camps that tell the stories of the loggers, river men and entrepreneurs who powered Michigan’s white pine industry. There is also a nice nature center to learn about the history of the park. A nice relaxing area great for hiking but I didn’t stay long since I had things to see further up the road.

Hartwick Pines

Up the road in Gaylord is the roadside attraction and wildlife museum called Call of the Wild. It features a wide variety of stuffed animals, habitats, and activities including over 60 wildlife displays, a Wildlife Theater, and the Hands-on Learning Center. It also has a pretty cool gift shop and golf course and go-carts. The place is set up to provide information on the local wildlife through mounted animal displays and pre-recorded info containing info and various calls by the animals on display. I wasn’t overly impressed here but young kids should love this place.

Call of the wild

I then drove up to Indian River to take in the Cross In the Woods which holds the distinction of being the world’s largest crucifix. The center-piece of this shrine is a cross carved from a single redwood tree and it is 55 feet high and 22 feet wide. The bronze figure of Jesus that is attached to the redwood cross is the work of a famous sculptor, Marshall Fredericks and weights seven tons. It is an impressive sight and doll lovers can take in the Nun Doll Museum which holds the largest collection of dolls dressed in traditional attire of men and women religious communities in the United States. The collection includes around 525 dolls and 20 mannequins that represent the Diocesan clergy and more than 217 religious orders.

Cross

I then cut across route 68 to Bay View and cut north on scenic route 119 which provided some very breathtaking views of Lake Michigan. I took in a small museum in Harbor Springs, which is a beautiful little town. At Cross Village, I found an old Jesuit Church just off the main path which had a wonderful beach behind it. I spent a good ½ hour here as it was very relaxing just watching the waves roll into shore and not having another person around. I had dinner just up the road at a place called Leggs Inn which was recommended to me by an ex-coworker about 7 years ago. The restaurant specializes in Polish food and was designed by Native American which gives it a very distinction look both inside and out. It is located on the water and has a picturesque view out back in the garden area. I started off with Hunter's Stew which consists of a blend of various meats and Polish Sausage, simmered with sauerkraut and fresh garden vegetables that was excellent. For the main course, it was the Taste of Poland, an assortment including generous servings of Golabki (Cabbage Roll), Kielbasa (Polish Smoked Sausage) with old fashioned Polish style sauerkraut and choice of Pierogi (Polish Style Dumplings). This is one of the best meals I have had in the state of Michigan and recommend it highly for anyone traveling up north. It is worth the detour.

Leggs Inn

From here I took the scenic route into Mackinaw City and ended up in the Mackinaw Bridge Museum. I checked into my hotel a mere 14 ½ hours after I left home. When traveling to new areas, I always try to take in everything I can and I believe I did on this first day of the trip. After checking in, I walked to the bridge and saw it lit up at night and then went back to crash at the hotel to prepare for day 2 of my trip which I’ll talk about in another blog but that is a general overview of day 1.

Mackinaw Bridge

If you have the time, I always recommend day trips or weekend trips. I traveled during the week to try and avoid traffic. There was a festival the weekend before and after my trip which can make an area busier. I enjoy trips more off season when you can take more time to enjoy and not deal with traffic jams. I am going to hit the sack now after I get this posted so stay tuned for days 2-4.

For planning trips in Michigan, I recommend the site www.michigan.org which gives brief descriptions of the many attractions and restaurants in an area with local links and maps. It is a great guide to find things in an area that might not be in AAA travel guides or other travel sites.