Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



9/22/10

DIY Fest in Ferndale-9/18/10 By:SIS

"She is Sara" is a blogger of MCB
She digs fashion - music - thrift stores, poetry and Detroit

She works in Downtown Detroit
and is a full time student at Oakland University
pursuing her English major. 
Saturday  this blogger finally got off her ass and did something. What better to "do" than the Ferndale DIY fest?  Not only were there tons of arts and crafts to look at and purchase, but one of my favorite Mitten-state bands were scheduled to play "Electric six". It was settled  then, I had to go.  
 
We parked and walked a few blocks and we were there in no time. One of the first things I had to check out were these kick-ass masks. I seriously wanted to buy all of them, they were a lot of fun, right out of a Carnival. 
After goofing around for way too long, we headed over to the other side of Woodward ave to check out the music, the crafty stuff, and of course the beer. You've seen them a million times, but they are always cool. Random crap made out of old vinyl. I would up buying a bowl made out of a Rush album, yes I did.  
 There were also a ton of fancy purses and  hats and the like that were all colorful and awesome. I would up buying  some really cool penguin bow clips, because  you never know when they will just complete an outfit, right?
 We made our way over to the beer tent and no, I did not get a picture of my delicious raspberry blonde ale from the WAB because the tent was PACKED. It was crazy, I seriously could barely move. After we downed our beer, we had an hour or so until Electric Six came on, so we headed into the Loving Touch for some more  beer. There was a band prepping for an after-party, that I did not make it to because it was also packed by the time the concert was over, but they had a decent sound to them. 
 Finally, when  it came time to see Electric  Six, you guessed it, it was packed . That and I was slightly bummed to find that the lead singer, Dick Valentine, was sick and had a really bad sore throat but they still played. The crowed still drank beer, screamed, cheered, and wooted all  night. 
 Here are a few of their videos, to get a better idea of what they sound like. They are kinda strange and obnoxious, but  so is the rest of Michigan.