Promote your event / Contact MCB

YOU HAVE REACHED MOTORCITYBLOG.
email us anytime motorcityblog@gmail.com



4/28/09

Wild At Heart - Tuesday April 28

Hey Kirk-doesn't this weather suck!
here is this week's blog post - Bill

Wild Bill Ketelhut provides the "blog" to this anti-blog
He has a radio program on WXOU out of Oakland University


Wild At Heart

Not much is going in my world today except I have started putting put resumes again since I just got laid off my new job after 2 months due to lack of work. After a year off of work, I was really enjoying getting back into a work setting and was getting some recognition from upper management about the quality of my work in some areas. I met some really nice people and ran into a few employees that I had worked with before at my previous job so I felt right at home. The day before being let go, I was in my first supervisor meeting about dealing with stress and hearing about how the company had now stabilized. Guess they knew I would need the stress. On the good side, I now qualify for free movies courtesy of Emagine Entertainment who is offering qualifying guests and their immediate family members FREE MOVIES along with FREE SODA AND POPCORN from Monday, April 27th through Thursday, April 30th on a first come/first serve basis. Participating
theatres include Emagine Novi on 12 Mile Road just west of Novi Road, Emagine Canton on Ford Road just east of I-275 & Cinema Hollywood on Dixie Highway in Birch Run.
Speaking of movies, here is one to miss. It is called “Fighting” and stars Channing Tatum as a young man named Shawn MacArthur who moves to New York where he struggles to make a living selling counterfeit goods on the street. He is spotted by Harvey (Terrence Howard) who is a veteran street fighting coach who offers him the chance to earn big money by competing in illegal underground fights. Maybe it’s just me, but neither character really captured my attention and I found both basically dull as they go through the movie trying to capture something from their past. The fight scenes never seem to come together and are basically boring. A fighter from Shawn’s troubled past enters the picture and sets up the big fight scene at the end which almost is worth it but not quite. All in all, I can find nothing in this movie which makes me want to recommend it as nothing in this movie grabs my attention enough to give it a fighting chance. My grade
is a F.

For Star Trek fans, here is some new news about the Detroit release. The film will open
at the Science Center with showings at 7PM and 9:30PM on May 7, preceded by launch activities starting at 5 PM. Visitors can enjoy Star Trek trivia on the Science Stage at 6PM and 8PM and enter a costume contest from 5-9PM. Visitors may also add Star Trek: The Exhibition to their experience for an additional fee. Call 313-577-8400, Option 5, to reserve advance tickets.

Sonic Youth ticket go on sale this Saturday for their 6/29 show at the Royal Oak Music Theatre but you can win tickets on WXOU 88.3FM between 8-10AM during my show which you can listen to online at www.wxou.org.

I had Josh Epstein of The Silent Years on my show last week promoting their new EP “Let Go” which has a definite Lovin’ Spoonful sound to it who Josh admits is a hugh influence on his music and that he considers lead singer John Sebastian as one of the great artists of all time. You can go to their myspace page and listen to their new song “Madame Shocking” or go to http://thesilentyears.com for more info on the band and links to purchase their EP. Support your local music.
Some interesting shows this week. Colin Hay is playing at the Ark tonight for all you Men At Work fans. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart is playing the Crofoot on Wednesday 4/29 with openers Zaza, a nice brooding electronic band from NYC (who you might have heard interviewed on my show last Sat). Heavy metal band Mastodon will be at the Crofoot on Friday 5/01 which I am excited about since they were one of the few bands I wanted to see 2 years ago at Ozzfest but they had to cancel due to a family emergency. Saturday 5/2 has a free Serena Ryder show at Hard Rock CafĂ© and the wacky fun-loving Japanese Peelander Z @ the Magic Stick (the last time they did human bowling). Sunday 5/03 gets things kicked of with Franz Ferdinand at Clutch Cargos, London based early punk rockers Eddie & The Hot Rods @ the Magic Stick or you can see “One Tree Hill” star Kate Voegele @ the Eagle Theatre.
This seems short this week but I will be back next week so take care and have a good week


"MCB IS DETROIT"
Check out more MCB-VIDEOs here